- Start Date
- End Date
- The University of the Witwatersrand
- South Africa
- Meeting Type
- CIMPA research school
- Contact Name
- Valerio Talamanca
The aim of this research school is to introduce young researchers to the explicit side of Number Theory.
As it has becoming clear in the past decades many number theoretic constructions can find an application
in cryptography or coding theory, but to do so they have to be in explicit form. This school will provide
interested students from South Africa and neighbouring countries with the opportunity to get an introduction
to the computational as well as theoretical side of several number theoretical topics such as:
- explicit computations in number fields (such as finding their class groups, unit groups, etc.);
- explicit solutions of Diophantine equations (such as Pell equations, Thue equations, etc.);
- efficient algorithms for prime testing and factorization of integers;
- explicit construction of elliptic curves over finite fields with prescribed number of points.
If you notice a problem with this entry, please contact the curators by email.